Universal Event Tracking – training
Bing Ads Universal Event Tracking helps you understand how your campaign performed by tracking your customers’ actions on your website after they clicked on your ad. (This tool replaces the original Campaign Analytics tool.) With Universal Event Tracking, you can now track multiple conversion goals with a single tag that works across your entire site. There’s no need to set up a unique tag for each individual goal.
After reading this training, you will understand how to:
- Track multiple types of conversion goals.
- Set up a conversion goal.
- Tag your site.
Once you’ve set up your conversion goals, you’ll have better insights on how your campaign is performing outside of typical impressions and clicks. By setting up conversion goals, you’ll be able to track how customers interact and convert across devices, campaigns and accounts, helping you optimize your campaign and improve your ROI.
You’ll also save time and effort because you only have to tag your site once, even if you add a new account or conversion goal later.
While revenue is commonly considered the most important campaign metric, there are other factors to consider in creating successful campaigns and building brand affinity. These include:
- Destination URL: You can determine the number of people who visit a specific page or section on your site when you set up a conversion goal to track Destination URLs (which can be any page you want to track). For instance, you can specifically track the confirmation or thank you page after a customer completes a purchase or fills in a form.
- Duration per visit: Do you want to understand the length of time a customer engages with your site? Set a goal that specifies a length of time, then track the number of customers that stayed on your site longer than that stated time.
- Pages per visit: With UET, you can also monitor the number of pages a customer engages with and views during a visit. To track Pages per visit, set a goal for a number of pages, and then track how many customers exceed that number.
- Custom event: Define your own goal by creating a Custom event. This feature offers the most flexibility for tracking the actions customers take on your site. For example, you can set a goal to track how often a customer initiates a download, clicks on a specific link or watches a video on your site.
- Mobile app installs: Track every time someone installs your app as a conversion.
Setting up conversion goals
After logging into Bing Ads, click the Campaigns page, and then on the left pane, click Conversion Tracking.
Under Conversion Tracking, click Conversion Goals.
On the conversion goals page, click Create conversion goal.
To create your goal, enter a name for the goal and then select the type of conversion goal you want to track.
Additional options to specify details may appear based on the type of goal you want to track, such as length of time or number of pages.
Finally, determine the number of days you want to track this goal. You can set any timeframe from seven to 90 days for all goal types, and this will be the number of days Bing Ads will use to keep track of a particular user after the first visit to your website.
When you set a Destination goal to track the number of customers that land on a specific page, you have the option to set filters that meet specific criteria: Equal to, Begins with or Regular expression.
When you want to track the Duration of time customers spend on your site, you can set up conversion goals to track “greater than” a specific timeframe.
When you set up a conversion goal to track the Pages viewed per visit, you can assign the minimum number of pages you want the user to have viewed per visit.
When you set up a Custom event, there are four values you can use to further define a user’s interaction:
- Category (ec): Typically the name you provide for the object you want to track (e.g., "button").
- Action (ea): The type of user interaction paired with the category object (e.g., "click").
- Label (el): An optional string, useful to note additional details about your event goal (e.g., "Plays on the welcome video").
- Value (ev): This field may be used to track monetary value, or other numerical data associated with this goal (e.g., "5," representing $5).
NOTE: Commas are accepted in value fields, but decimals are not. In terms of monetary values, there is no currency association, just numerical values/representation.
Finally, when you set up a conversion goal to track mobile app installs, select Include app installs as conversions and enter the App or Measurement URL. This is an app-specific measurement URL that is provided by a Bing Ads-certified partner, along with an SDK, to track app extension installs as conversions.
Tagging your site
There is one caveat for when you want to track a Custom Event: You’ll need to manually add an additional line of code to the original Bing Ads-generated tag.
You can directly copy the script to embed into a website or email the tag to your website administrator to process for you. Alternatively, if you are using a tag management solution like Google Tag Manager, Adobe Tag Manager, QuBit, Signal Digital, Ensighten or Tealium, you can update it to incorporate the new tag.
The Status column will indicate if your goal is active or paused. You can click on the icon next to your goal to change the status between Pause and Active. If you need to edit the goal, select the Edit tab and make the necessary updates, then save your changes. (Note: you cannot delete a goal).
Performance reports are available for Keywords, Accounts, Campaigns and Ad Groups. These reports include new performance metrics for bounce rate (%), average pages per visit, average duration (seconds) and total visits. These reports can be retrieved from the Reports tab.
Universal Event Tracking lets you create and track a variety of performance goals for conversion tracking in a few easy steps. You can define and quantify conversions that align to your business goals — including events such as sign-ups, downloads, etc. This data helps you measure your ROI and analyze site traffic to help inform future campaigns.
- Track multiple conversion goals with a single tag that works across your entire site.
- No need for additional tags, even if you add new accounts or conversion goals later.
- Choose from four predefined conversion goals, or create your own custom conversion goal to track.
- Compatible with leading tag-management solutions for easy implementation.
Please note all features in this training may not be available in your market.